The IEEE Life Members Conference will be held in different locations each year, giving you an opportunity to travel and explore new destinations. Combine business with pleasure by attending an enriching conference while also experiencing the culture and heritage of the host city.
There are many benefits of traveling and exploring:
- Exploring a new place, trying new things, and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can increase the level of dopamine in your brain. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind,” said the Roman philosopher Seneca.
- Traveling also changes our attitude towards life and people in a more positive way. We observe things and think from a broader perspective when our mind is open to the outside world.
- One can argue that travel is an essential industry, an essential activity. It’s not essential the way hospitals and grocery stores are essential, but travel is essential the way books and hugs are essential. A 2014 Cornell University study delved into how the anticipation of an experience (like a trip) can increase a person’s happiness substantially—much more so than the anticipation of buying material goods.
- When traveling to new surroundings, we press a restart button on our body and mind, which brings in fresh energy when we get back to our regular activities. Traveling gives us a pause from ordinary life and helps us get more focused on ourselves and can generate happiness.
- Memories from traveling are often connected with positive emotions.
Austin is home to a wonderful ballet, world-class museums, one-of-a-kind shopping, and beautiful outdoor spaces. With so many things to do in Austin, you can just as easily spend your morning paddling the lake as you can strolling through a celebrated history museum. Highlights include the Texas State Capitol, Austin Nature & Science Center, and the Cathedral of Junk.
Come to the IEEE Life Members Conference in Austin—and then continue to make this conference part of your schedule for the next few years to explore different and exciting locations. It’s good for you!
Have a comment about the IEEE Life Members conference?
Leave a note via the suggestion box (select Life Members Conference in the drop-down menu).